Do you feel like you have been stuck with a slow metabolism all your life and you gain weight easily? Have you tried diet plans which advise you how to lose weight in 2 weeks?
Well, we have good news for you! How about trying to tackle the problem from the core.
It’s true that as you grow older, your metabolism also slows down. Also, stress, genetics, lifestyle habits, heart diseases, poor diet, are all causes of a slow metabolism. But fortunately, there are several ways to speed it up.
Before we jump into how you can fix your metabolism, you need to understand one important thing. Every human being is unique. Your biochemical make-up is different from others.
Why do You have a Slow Metabolism?
If you paid attention in your biology class at school, you’d remember our little energy buddies, ‘mitochondria.’ Mitochondria are little combustion motors that convert food and oxygen into energy for your body.
When these little guys do their job well (effective mitochondria), your body burns calories, resulting in a faster metabolism. Whereas, ineffective mitochondria come in the way of burning calories, slowing down your metabolism.
All the causes mentioned above of a slow metabolism affect your energy system. Though you cannot control some of the factors, here are 6 ways to optimize your metabolism and keep your mitochondria healthy!
How to Boost Your Metabolism?
- Get a Good Night’s Sleep : One study showed that lack of sleep in men increased their tendency to choose high-calorie foods. Another study revealed that women who barely got six hours of sleep were more likely to put on five kilograms. Sleep duration affects ghrelin and leptin – these hormones help in regulating hunger. Experts suggest that you must get at least 7-8 hours of undisturbed sleep every night.
- Eat a lot of Healthy Fats : Not all fats are to be avoided! Almost every weight loss article or nutritionist tells you to snack on Avocados and nuts, and they have a good reason to do so. These foods along with coconut oil, seeds, and fatty fish fuel are easily digestible, thereby turning them into fuel and increasing your metabolism instead of storing them as fats.
- Eat Wisely : Yes, it is important to keep track of your weight, but being obsessed with numbers can do more harm than good. What you eat is more crucial than how much you eat.
- Switch to Green Tea : A recent study showed green tea coupled with at least 3 hours of light exercises per week shrunk belly fat significantly in subjects over a span of three months. Drink 5-6 cups of unsweetened green tea (or just add half a teaspoon of honey) every day, and your metabolism will surely rev up. The process of how to lose weight in 2 weeks can be slow but is worth the result. Green tea is definitely a manna from heaven because apart from enhancing weight loss, it also improves brain functionality, lowers risk of certain cancers and is loaded with antioxidants.
- Make Strength Training and Cardio your BFFS : You can increase your metabolism by altering the four cardiovascular training factors – frequency, intensity, duration, and mode. Cardio exercises like cycling or running, provide the thrust your metabolism needs. Having said that, most of us need more muscle building activities, and strength training is a brilliant way of acquiring this. It further helps you to continue burning more calories for up to 72 hours post your workout (a.k.a. after burn). You can refer to this link for some of the most effective strength training exercises.
- Quit Sitting for Prolonged Periods : Some studies found that sitting for long durations is correlated to obesity, type 2 diabetes, and certain types of cancer. Maybe chairs should have some kind of a warning label like ‘sedentary lifestyle can be injurious to health’ similar to cigarettes due to its adverse effects on one’s health!
A great solution to combat this problem would be to move as much as you can throughout the day. Remember that every step counts! I would high recommend investing in a pedometer to track your movements.
The above ways help to speed up your metabolism, and after that you can follow every tip on how to lose weight in 2 weeks in the book and be successful.